Tags: bunch, column, columns, excel, matter, microsoft, msdn, names, row, software, subsequent, visible

How do I make one column or row always visible?

On Microsoft » Microsoft Excel

7,895 words with 7 Comments; publish: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:36:00 GMT; (30693.75, « »)

I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,

but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll

in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

Thanks,

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • Ao, select a cell B1 or B2 maybe and then window, freeze panes

Paul B

Always backup your data before trying something new

Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it

Feedback on answers is always appreciated!

Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Ao" <Ao.excel.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

news:0B8E3AE0-115E-48B2-B2AB-CBF0623D3FF5.excel.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

>I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,

> but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I

> scroll

> in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

> Thanks,

#1; Thu, 22 May 2008 07:37:00 GMT
    • Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to

see...and freeze them.

Enjoy!

//Jason

"Ao" wrote:

> I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,

> but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll

> in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

> Thanks,

#2; Thu, 22 May 2008 07:38:00 GMT
    • Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't

get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as

well.

"Jason" wrote:

> Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to

> see...and freeze them.

> Enjoy!

> --

> //Jason

> "Ao" wrote:

> > I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,

> > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

> > Thanks,

#3; Thu, 22 May 2008 07:39:00 GMT
    • if you want to freeze column A and row 1 then click in cell B2 and then

window>freeze panes

John

MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Please reply & rate any replies you get

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Ao" wrote:

> I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,

> but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll

> in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

> Thanks,

#4; Thu, 22 May 2008 07:40:00 GMT
    • John notes a neat trick in his response (I will have to try that one out -

thanks :) )

With the split option, you have to drag the additional frames around and

frame up what you want on the left and the top (i am assuming that is the

location of the names and title row labels. Ctrl+click the columns and rows

(the header letters and row numbers) you want to keep visible (in the

leftmost and topmost frames) and freeze.

GL!

//Jason

"Ao" wrote:

> Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't

> get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as

> well.

> "Jason" wrote:

> > Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to

> > see...and freeze them.

> >

> > Enjoy!

> > --

> > //Jason

> >

> >

> > "Ao" wrote:

> >

> > > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

> > > Thanks,

#5; Thu, 22 May 2008 07:41:00 GMT
    • Nice, that's the ticket. Thanks guys

"Jason" wrote:

> John notes a neat trick in his response (I will have to try that one out -

> thanks :) )

> With the split option, you have to drag the additional frames around and

> frame up what you want on the left and the top (i am assuming that is the

> location of the names and title row labels. Ctrl+click the columns and rows

> (the header letters and row numbers) you want to keep visible (in the

> leftmost and topmost frames) and freeze.

> GL!

> --

> //Jason

> "Ao" wrote:

> > well.

> >

> > "Jason" wrote:

> >

> > > Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to

> > > see...and freeze them.

> > >

> > > Enjoy!

> > > --

> > > //Jason

> > >

> > >

> > > "Ao" wrote:

> > >

> > > > Thanks,

#6; Thu, 22 May 2008 07:42:00 GMT
    • And for printing it is controlled from

File, Print setup, sheets

Rows to repeat at top: $1:$1

Columns to repeat at left: $A:$A

Freeze Panes for view and Repeat row/col headings for printing

HTH,

David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

"Ao" <Ao.excel.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:608DE5B0-281A-4614-8B7A-B84495844035.excel.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...

> Nice, that's the ticket. Thanks guys

> "Jason" wrote:

> > John notes a neat trick in his response (I will have to try that one out -

> > thanks :) )

> >

> > With the split option, you have to drag the additional frames around and

> > frame up what you want on the left and the top (i am assuming that is the

> > location of the names and title row labels. Ctrl+click the columns and rows

> > (the header letters and row numbers) you want to keep visible (in the

> > leftmost and topmost frames) and freeze.

> >

> > GL!

> > --

> > //Jason

> >

> >

> > "Ao" wrote:

> >

> > > Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't

> > > get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as

> > > well.

> > >

> > > "Jason" wrote:

> > >

> > > > Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to

> > > > see...and freeze them.

> > > >

> > > > Enjoy!

> > > > --

> > > > //Jason

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > "Ao" wrote:

> > > >

> > > > > I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,

> > > > > but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll

> > > > > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.

> > > > > Thanks,