Tags: cell, decimal, enter, entry, excel, fraction, inches, microsoft, msdn, software, symbol, text

Add the inches symbol after text

On Microsoft » Microsoft Excel

3,250 words with 3 Comments; publish: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:47:00 GMT; (30678.13, « »)

I would like to have the cell read an entry with the inches symbol at the

end. I have the cell set up so I can enter the decimal fraction (eg. 4.75),

and the cell converts it to a fraction (4 3/4), but I would also like the "

at the end of the 4 3/4, so it reads like this...4 3/4".

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 3 Comments
    • Good question. Use:

# ?/?"''" as the Custom Format. Note this is a double quote, two single

quotes and finally another double quote.

Gary's Student

"Winnipeg Michael" wrote:

> I would like to have the cell read an entry with the inches symbol at the

> end. I have the cell set up so I can enter the decimal fraction (eg. 4.75),

> and the cell converts it to a fraction (4 3/4), but I would also like the "

> at the end of the 4 3/4, so it reads like this...4 3/4".

> Does anybody have any suggestions?

> Thank you in advance.

> Michael

#1; Thu, 22 May 2008 18:48:00 GMT
    • Holy Crap, it worked!

I tried something similar to your suggestion, but didnt use single quotes -

I used the double quotes (thought it made sense to use the double quotes).

Thanks, Gary''s Student!!!!!!

Michael

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> Good question. Use:

> # ?/?"''" as the Custom Format. Note this is a double quote, two single

> quotes and finally another double quote.

> --

> Gary's Student

> "Winnipeg Michael" wrote:

> > I would like to have the cell read an entry with the inches symbol at the

> > end. I have the cell set up so I can enter the decimal fraction (eg. 4.75),

> > and the cell converts it to a fraction (4 3/4), but I would also like the "

> > at the end of the 4 3/4, so it reads like this...4 3/4".

> >

> > Does anybody have any suggestions?

> > Thank you in advance.

> >

> > Michael

#2; Thu, 22 May 2008 18:49:00 GMT
    • You ae very welcome

Gary's Student

"Winnipeg Michael" wrote:

> Holy Crap, it worked!

> I tried something similar to your suggestion, but didnt use single quotes -

> I used the double quotes (thought it made sense to use the double quotes).

> Thanks, Gary''s Student!!!!!!

> Michael

> "Gary''s Student" wrote:

> > Good question. Use:

> >

> > # ?/?"''" as the Custom Format. Note this is a double quote, two single

> > quotes and finally another double quote.

> >

> > --

> > Gary's Student

> >

> >

> > "Winnipeg Michael" wrote:

> >

> > > I would like to have the cell read an entry with the inches symbol at the

> > > end. I have the cell set up so I can enter the decimal fraction (eg. 4.75),

> > > and the cell converts it to a fraction (4 3/4), but I would also like the "

> > > at the end of the 4 3/4, so it reads like this...4 3/4".

> > >

> > > Does anybody have any suggestions?

> > > Thank you in advance.

> > >